Barrister | Called 2016
Maria completed her pupillage at a set in London and joined Chambers in June 2021. Prior to commencing pupillage Maria worked as a County Court Advocate at a nationwide law firm. During her time as an Advocate, she represented clients in a range of civil disputes including mortgage possessions, infant approval hearings, bankruptcy proceedings and landlord and tenant matters.
She also gained significant commercial legal experience, working as part of an in-house legal team for a leading multinational company headquartered in Malaysia.
Maria remains dedicated to pro bono work and has volunteered with organisations including Advocate, SIFA Fireside, The University of Birmingham’s Free Legal Advice Clinic and Citizens Advice.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), University of Birmingham (2012 – 2015)
- Bar Professional Training Course, University of Law (2015 – 2016)
Maria has a varied Civil practice and regularly appears in both Fast Track and Small Claims trials.
Maria is instructed on behalf of Claimants and Defendants in a range of matters including personal injury, contractual disputes, road traffic accidents, PPI, and credit hire cases.
Maria accepts instructions in both private law and public law proceedings. She has also dealt with numerous Children Act and Family Law Act proceedings from inception through to conclusion at a Final Hearing.
Maria has a developing regulatory law practice and has represented clients in professional regulatory proceedings brought by the Teaching Regulation Agency, involving serious allegations of dishonesty, misuse of alcohol and inappropriate physical contact.
Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence
Maria has experience in a wide range of matters relating to personal injury and clinical negligence law. Maria has attended conferences with medical experts and clients as well as Costs and Case Management Hearings and Round Table settlement meetings. Maria also completed a broad range of written work including:
- An Advice on Quantum in an RTA claim;
- An Advice on merits in a clinical negligence claim: involving possible surgical negligence during cholecystectomy;
- Particulars of Claim in a clinical negligence claim: involving allegations of optometrist negligence;
- A Defence in a clinical negligence claim: involving allegations of surgical and radiological negligence;
- A Schedule of Loss in a complicated clinical negligence claim: involving admitted surgical negligence in a Total Hip Replacement.
Pensions & Trusts
Maria has experience with a wide range of matters relating to pensions, commercial and employment law. Maria has attended conferences with professional and lay clients, a mediation involving disputed pension benefits of retired directors and a two-week employment tribunal case involving claims of race discrimination, harassment and victimisation. Maria has also completed a broad range of written work including:
- Particulars of Claim in a case involving fraudulent misrepresentation;
- A Defence and an Advice in a case involving rectification of a commercial contract;
- An Advice and a Letter before Action in a case involving misselling of “scam” pensions investments;
- A Note on a point of law regarding actuarial negligence regarding the actions of a statutorily appointed scheme actuary viz a large pensions scheme and its funding;
- A Skeleton Argument for a Norwich Pharmacal order;
- Written submissions in an employment tribunal case involving direct discrimination, harassment, and victimisation.
Employment and Discrimination
Maria has represented clients in preliminary and final hearings at employment tribunals including successfully representing a client in an unlawful deduction from wages claim.
Examples of recent instructions include:
- Particulars of Claim in a claim involving, protected disclosure detriment, constructive unfair dismissal and automatic unfair dismissal;
- Particulars of Claim in a claim involving constructive unfair dismissal, unlawful deduction from wages and restrictive covenants;
- An Advice in a breach of contract and wrongful dismissal claim;
- An Advice in a TUPE claim;
- An Advice in a sex discrimination, pregnancy and maternity discrimination, unfair dismissal and automatic unfair dismissal claim.
Maria also conducts pro bono work and has represented clients in a Judicial Mediation and in preliminary hearings. More recently, she has successfully represented a lay client in a complex holiday pay claim under the Working Time Regulations 1998.
- Attorney General’s Junior Junior Scheme
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
Barrister’s Wig Award The University of Law (2019)