Amjad Malik KC
Barrister | Called 1987 | Silk 2010
Amjad is a leading Silk in the field of Crime and in Fraud demonstrating a multi disciplinary skill set encompassing civil, commercial and criminal expertise.
He is ranked in both Legal500 and Chambers and Partners and undertakes work in the following areas:
- Commercial crime (including fraud and money laundering)
- Serious Crimes (including terrorism offences, murder, manslaughter and drugs)
- Professional regulatory and disciplinary
- Mental health and healthcare law
- Human rights
Amjad is fluent in Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi.
Amjad Malik KC is continuously instructed in the most complex and important of cases. He is sought after by solicitors because of his stylish, persuasive advocacy and is known as being at the forefront in the field of fraud, corruption and commercial crime such including confiscation and restraint.
Recently he has been asked to advise clients in a matter with regard to facilitation payments under the Bribery Act. He represented JM in the landmark proceeds of crime case, A, M and others (Operations R and A), the money laundering of £40 million through London Currency Exchange Bureaus tried in 2013.
He has also recently represented KM in R v SB and others (Operation V) a MTIC fraud, causing a loss of approximately £95 million to the taxpayer. R v M and others 2015 defending in a Money laundering enterprise through a Midlands currency exchange.
He possesses an in–depth knowledge of terrorism offences and has long experience of “Honour Killing” crime; defending JD in the Southall murder of Geeta Aulukh at the Central Criminal Court.
Amjad Malik KC executes a regulatory and civil expertise when appearing before specialist regulatory tribunals: the General Medical Council; the Nursing and Midwifery Council and the Healthcare Professionals Council. He presently represents a Consultant Professor in GMC v B, charged with publishing plagiaristic research articles in a number of international medical journals.
He has wide experience of many aspects of mental health law including mental capacity, healthcare law and human rights. His practice encompasses many areas in which this specialism is important, for example, the Court of Protection, prison law, community care, torts actions, inquests and inquiries.
- R v SB and Others – Representing KM in R v SB and others (Operation Vex) Kingston Crown Court. Defendant involved in a massive MTIC fraud, causing a loss of approximately £90 million to the taxpayer.
- Anwoir, Meghrabi and others – Representing JM in the second trial arising from the landmark proceeds of crime case, Anwoir, Meghrabi and others. Money laundering of £40 million through London Currency Exchange Bureau. Kingston Crown Court.
- R v Miah and others – Defending in a money laundering enterprise through a Midlands currency exchange.
- R v Singh and others – Defencing the so called “honour killing” of Greta Aulukh in a residential street in Southall by defendant and 3 others using machetes. Central Criminal Court.
- R v Aiden Jackson – Prosecuting as Leading Counsel in the homophobic murder of an elderly disabled man by a 17 year old teenager who had lured the victim to a remote area in order to kill him.
- R v Malik Blackburn and another – Conspiracy to Murder. Leading Prosecution Counsel in a targeted shooting of an organised crime gang rival. The victim survived the attempt on his life and refused to provide evidence to the Crown of who shot him.
- R v Masciopinto and others – Heroin and cocaine supply conspiracies. Leading Prosecution Counsel involving surveillance visual and probe material. Sensitive unused material issues.
- R v Craig Leighton – Murder of a visually impaired and disabled man by the defendant.
- R v Wall and others – Leading Prosecution Counsel. Murder of an asian gang member by a rival Black gang in Slough. Gang member issues and anonymous witnesses.
- R v Newell and others – Conspriacy to murder and attempted murder. Leading Prosecution Counsel. Contract killing paid for by an organised crime gang on 2 rival gang members in Luton.
- R v Wali Khan & Others – The torture and murder of a businessman in a targeted robbery at residential premises in Leicester. The murder was carried out by the defendant and two others who forcibly wrapped the head of the deceased with layers of cloth in order to kill by asphyxiation. Cut-throat defences.
- R v Muhammed Shafi – A pre-planned murder of the defendant’s female partner, who was taken to a remote area late at night, the defendant using a knife and heavy metal cutters to kill. Loss of control was raised as the defence to murder.
- R v Frankie PArker and Gary Smith – The beating and brutal murder of a 76 year old man during a robbery, carried out in his own home by the defendant and another. Cut-throat defences involving witnesses who were all from the travelling community.
- R v Sandhu Penuts – An Albanian drug cartel the subject of surveillance operations conducted by the Serious Crime Agency. Defendant found with 4 kilograms of heroin and acquitted.
- R v Mark Lewis – 19 year old defendant who robbed and killed a stranger in the town cenre in the early hours of the morning.
- R v Sajjad Hussain and others – Defendant with three others attached rival gang members with meat cleavers in Bedford Town Centre. Murder of one man and attempted murder of another.
- R v Quaye and others – Leading Prosecution Counsel. Two defendants aged 15 and 17 charged with murder of a young man at a party by joint enterprise stabbing. Third adult defendant involved in assisting an offender after the murder.
Leading Silk in Crime in Legal500 2021 – “He has a great client empathy.”
Chambers & Partners: Crime – ” The ‘calm and composed’ Amjad Malik KC is noted for his ability to provide ‘a clear case strategy from the off, and maintain it through the turbulent waters of a trial’.”
Leading Silk in Crime in Legal500 2021 – “Regularly instructed to prosecute and defend murder and organised crime cases.”
Leading Silk in Crime in Legal 500 – “Experienced in prosecuting and defending murder cases.”
Leading Silk in Crime in Legal 500 – “Well regarded for a broad criminal practice focussed on complex homicides and drugs conspiracies. He is particularly experienced in the area of white-collar crime.”
Leading Silk in Crime in Legal 500 – “He is articulate and surgical in his advocacy, and in the way he digests information and gives advice is amazing.” “He prepares his cases fantastically thoroughly.”
- Elected President of the Association of United Kingdom Muslim Lawyers (2011-2016) http://www.aml.org.uk. The membership consists of some seven hundred solicitors and barristers. Amjad has helped in the development and advancement of understanding in areas of Sharia Law with regard to English civil, commercial and family law.